Wednesday 6 November 2019

Nothing Changes if Nothing Changes

Hello there.

Well...um, it's good to be back. I mean, it hasn't been three years, right? Details schmetails, I would love to get back into these blog posts again and contribute in some way, if you, dear readers, will have me back of course. Well, even if you don't, I'll still be here!

Based on a quick re-read of the last couple of posts I wrote on this blog... let's just say that a LOT has changed since the last time, so time for a super quick LIFE UPDATE:
  • Graduated from University with Honours in Fine Art
  • Got accepted into the Masters Programme in Fine Arts (and politely decided against it)
  • Got accepted into a Post-Graduate Education Programme in Fine Arts (!!!)
  • And then...surprise job offer...in another city, on the other side of the country
  • Moved to Cape Town, been here for almost two years now
  • ...
  • Existential crisis of getting into a working life cycle...
  • And here we are!
Now, just for some context, I work in an art museum which is still pretty new. I work in the Curatorial Team, dealing with artwork and the many ridiculous things that come with artwork full time...and I have to admit, it really opened my eyes up to the way that the industry actually functions. I've learnt a lot in the last two years, things that made me absolutely fall in love with being in the art world all over again, and things that have made me question the integrity of every single person in the industry. Sounds about right for working life, right?

Anyway, my first year of working in this industry was mostly about hitting the ground running. But, the second year has made me question what it is that I am actually doing with my life. Was everything that I had worked so tremendously hard for my entire life... actually worth it? Is this really where I see myself belonging for the rest of my (working) life?

As you can see, I've got a lot of things running through my mind at the moment. But I remember clearly that one of the greatest joys of having a blog like this was to share the little bits and pieces of useful (and occasionally funny) information I have learnt... So even if it's a rocky road, hopefully I can share something with you that resonates in some way, no matter how small!

I don't know where I will be going next with this blog, but my hope is that we can figure it out together, and maybe it won't feel like such a rocky road after all.

Until next time.

Talia

No comments:

Post a Comment